City Directory |    5330 Seaman Road, Oregon, Ohio


Residential Repair

How long does it take to get a permit?

Most repair permits can be processed for the next business day and applications normally take less than ten minutes to complete.  Permits requiring plans that must be reviewed take more time, but the permit desk strives to issue permits promptly.  Normal turn around is 5 days for residential sets and 10-14 days for commercial sets.  You will always have some response, even a rejection, within 30 days of the date of submission.

Does the city want to inspect the soil before I dig the hole?

Soil inspections are performed after the hole is dug, immediately prior to the placement of the concrete for the footers.  The "hole" must be the required depth, below the frost line in most cases, which is 36-inches below grade.  The soil at the point of termination must be original material, not fill, and must be clean and dry.  If the plan calls for reinforcing steel, it must be in place at the time of the inspection.

Must I have a survey performed to install a fence?

There is no requirement to have a survey prior to the installation of a fence.  However, a survey is highly recommended to insure against any charge of infringement upon a property line by adjoining property owners.

Which side of the fence (good or bad) does my neighbor need to face toward my yard?

The building department has no jurisdiction over the aesthetics involved in the installation of the fence. Accepted practice has been to present the "good" side of the fence to the adjoining property, so as to allow the appearance to be fully appreciated by the individual looking "in" at the property on which the fence has been installed.

How many layers of roofing may be applied before layers must be removed?

New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing the existing roof coverings as follows.  Whenever the existing roof is water soaked or deteriorated to the point of being unacceptable as a base for additional roofing, or when the existing roof covering is wood shake, slate, clay or cement tile, or when the existing roof has two or more layers of any type of roofing.

When do I need plans?

Plans are required to accompany all permit applications except for minor repairs or as otherwise approved by the Commissioner of Building and Zoning Inspections.

When do I need a permit?

Except when doing minor repairs, a permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, relocate or demolish a structure or building equipment installed therein; or to change a structure to another occupancy, or to excavate or fill an area in excess of five feet in vertical depth, or 100 cubic yards per each 5000 square feet of site area.  Included are pools, ponds and overflow and site drainage plans.