City Directory |    5330 Seaman Road, Oregon, Ohio


Plumbing Inspections

Is PVC plastic pipe approved for use in commercial buildings?

PVC plastic pipe is approved for use in all plumbing systems; however, it is considered to be a combustible material and must be properly fire stopped. PVC pipe shall not be used when other piping materials are specified on the prints.

Who inspects the water service from the main to the building?

The Building Inspection Department inspects the water service from the water main to the water meter. Only the plumbing inspector inspects the water distribution system after the meter.

When is a kitchen grease interceptor required?

A kitchen grease interceptor is required on all fixtures which are grease producing. Specifically, in a restaurant where there is a three bowl sink and a dishwasher.  Normally, the food prep sink is not grease producing.

What is the maximum temperature setting for a shower valve?

120 degrees Fahrenheit or 49 degrees Celsius is the maximum temperature setting for a shower valve installed after July 1, 2007.

When is a thermal expansion control device required?

A thermal expansion control device is required when a backflow prevention device, check valve, or pressure-reducing device is installed in the cold water system to a water heater.

What is the maximum water pressure allowed?

When the normal water pressure on any branch line exceeds 80 PSI or the specified limiting pressure of any fixture or appliance connected thereto, a water pressure-reducing valve shall be installed.

When is the best time to call for an inspection or talk to a plumbing inspector?

Staff will take inspection calls anytime and can usually arrange a time with you.  Inspectors are usually available for consultation and appointments from 8:00 am - 9:00 am or 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm - Monday thru Friday, except holidays.

How much does a permit cost?

Permit costs are based on per unit size and type of work done on the property. Please call 419-698-7071 for a quote or see the permit form.  Forms are now available from the City of Oregon Website.

When is a plumbing permit needed?

A plumbing permit and inspection is needed whenever you install a new plumbing fixture, replace a plumbing fixture including water heaters; install, alter, repair or make any connection with any potable water distribution pipe, house or building sewer or building drain, soil, waste drain or vent pipe or any plumbing system pipe or plumbing appurtenance connected thereto. This includes the storm sewer, sanitary sewer and water service outside the building inside the property line. No permit or inspection is needed to clean out drain lines or replacement of washers, faucets, valves or repairing existing fixtures.

Are plumbers required to be licensed?

Yes, a licensed plumber is required on all plumbing projects requiring a permit and inspection.  The only exception to the licensing law is for the resident homeowner.  The resident owner may do the plumbing work on his owner residence after obtaining the required permits. The homeowner is not exempt from using licensed contractors for work on rental property or commercial property owned.