City Directory |    5330 Seaman Road, Oregon, Ohio


General Questions

Can I get a special inspection?

Yes. A special inspection without the submission of plans is permitted for a limited number of small projects. An example of a special inspection would be a temporary pole mounted electrical service. A special inspection still requires a permit and requires the successful completion of an inspection. Please check FAQ's to review more detailed instructions regarding special inspections.

Can I get a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for my project?

Yes. Life safety issues (ie. electrical systems, fire protection systems and plumbing systems) need to be addressed prior to requesting a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO) permit.  A TCO has no cost, but requires successful completion of at least the life safety issues and structural inspections before issuance.  If you should have any further questions, or wish to inquire about the suitability of a TCO for your project, you may contact our office at 419-698-7071, or contact your inspector.

How do I get my Certificate of Occupancy?

You must notify the Building Department at least 5 days prior to your intent to occupy and schedule final inspections.  Once your plans have received full approval and your project has successfully completed ALL final inspections, a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued automatically.

What is the difference between the Ohio Basic Building Code and the Oregon Building Code?

The Ohio Basic Building Code (OBBC) applies to construction for all buildings or structures except 1, 2 and 3 family detached dwellings and is usually referred to as the commercial code. The Oregon Building Code or the OBOA 1,2&3 Family Dwelling Code applies to residential 1,2 & 3 family dwellings and their accessory buildings.

When is a Certificate of Occupancy required?

When the occupancy type of a building is changed or when an addition or new building is completed, a Certificate of Occupancy must be obtained before the structure can legally be occupied.

May I fax an application or plans?

Yes, an application may be faxed with payment by credit card, if plans are required.

When is the best time to call for an inspection?

Staff will take inspection request calls anytime and can usually arrange a time with you.  There should be 24-hour notice before inspection time.  Inspectors are usually available for consultation and appointments from 8:00 am - 9:00 am or 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm - Monday thru Friday.

How soon can I start my job?

You may begin construction once your project has received a partial or full plan approval. A partial plan approval allows you to build only to the point outlined in your correction letter. For example, if you have received a partial plan approval for footings/foundation, you cannot build beyond that point.  A correction letter and partial approval permit are issued to indicate the limits of work authorized and what additional information is required for final approval.

How long is a permit valid?

All permits expire by limitation if work has not begun within twelve months from the date of permit issuance or when the work has been discontinued for six months. However, if the owner requests a renewal prior to the expiration of the permit, the permit can be extended for an additional twelve month period for a fee. For a wrecking permit to remain valid, demolition must begin within 120 days.

Where do I apply for a permit?

All applications for permits are accepted at the permit desk in the Building & Zoning Inspection Office in the east wing of the Oregon Municipal Building located at 5330 Seaman Road.

When are plans required to be certified by a registered engineer or architect?

Plans and associated construction documents for new construction and major alteration work for buildings and structures regulated by the Ohio Basic Building Code are required to be prepared by an Ohio registered architect or professional engineer.  Residential work may also be required to be sealed by an architect or engineer if such work is extraordinary in nature or is an alternative to the strict interpretation of the code.

How many plans do I need when applying for a permit?

The minimum for commercial and industrial projects is four (4) sets of sealed construction drawings and six (6) sets of site and utilities drawings along with your application.  For residential projects the minimum is three (3) sets of construction drawings and three (3) sets of site and utilities drawings along with your application.  You must also submit at least one (1) model energy report for every project, and one (1) site drainage permit.

The reason for a delay in the issuance of a certificate of plan approval and permit is the submittal of incomplete plans.  In order to insure a timely review of your plans, please review the submitter checklist prior to the initial submission of your plans. Find the plans review check list in OBBC Section 4101:2-1-19 for commercial projects or Ohio Residential Code Book Section 106 for residential. 

The City of Oregon Building & Zoning Inspection Department has jurisdiction in that they are a local certified building department for state of Ohio projects.  Please check with your Lucas Co Health Department regarding areas which do not have public sewer and/or public water.

Alterations: (decks, signs, awnings, retaining walls, sheds, interior demolitions, etc.) 
3 sets of plans
1 set of site plans

Kitchen Hood Fire Suppression, Fire Alarm & Sprinklers: 
4 sets of plans and cut-sheets
4 sets of hydraulic calculations if applicable.

Swimming Pools: (in-ground and above ground) 
1 set of plans
1 set of site plans

1 set of plans
1 set of site plans
1 copy of certificate verifying fabric is flame resistant

Parking Lots and Excavation and Fill: 
3 sets of grading & elevation plans plus
2 sets of storm water calculations for site plans

No plans necessary. A separate application describing the structure to be demolished is required.  Also required is an inspection of the sanitary sewer kill and the water line termination.

What do I need to submit to obtain my permit?

You need to submit a permit application, the fees due, a minimum number of set construction drawings (plans) and specifications.  For any property that has a septic system or private well, you will also need a pre-plan approval (pink slip) from the Lucas Co. Health Dept.

What are the permit fees based on?

The permit fee for new buildings and additions, either commercial and residential, are based primarily on the square footage of construction using the fee schedule contained in Section 1361 OMC.  The Fee schedule is a grid based on the complexity and size (square footage) of the project.  A chart that allows you to compute your fees are not part of the building permit application form but is available upon request.  In order to issue a correct permit and certificate of occupancy, it is necessary for you to fill out all of the sections on the application form.  There is some work and some structures that do not relate to square footage and in those instances the permit fees are valuation based.  Other permit fees are based on the flat rates of work done as shown on each application form.

When filing building plans, the minimum fee due is $50.00 for zoning on any project plus a minimum plan examination fee of $60.00 for any OBBC work.  This makes up part of the fees due at application and must be paid at the time the plans are filed.

What types of work requires a permit?

A permit is required for all major repairs, alterations, new buildings and additions, most excavation and filling of land, swimming pools, ponds, installations of signs, sanitary and storm sewer installations, sidewalks, driveway approaches and paved parking areas greater than 800 square feet in area.  Permits without plans are also required for alteration or replacement of heating equipment, air conditioning equipment, boilers, plumbing system or any changes in the electrical systems.  Routine maintenance or minor work, both defined in the code, can generally be described as flat work on grade, painting, wallpapering, siding, replacement windows (no size change), or re-shingling roof and similar work which typically does not require a permit.

The following work does require a zoning permit but is exempt from building permits:

  • Storage sheds, located in a rear yard of a single family dwelling in accordance with the Zoning Code, which are not greater than 200 square feet in area and not taller than six feet in average height.
  • Play equipment not greater than 12-1/2 feet in height that is not enclosed and not provided with electric or heating equipment.
  • Changes in the occupancy of a building or tenant space.

Why do I need a permit?

City ordinance specifies that a permit be issued when work is to be performed on a structure. The resulting inspection may uncover shoddy work, faulty materials, deviations from plans, or violations of the code that could result in unsafe or hazardous conditions for you, your family, your employees or the general public.

The code also requires an investigation fee equal to and in addition to their regular permit fee when work is done without a permit.