City Directory |    5330 Seaman Road, Oregon, Ohio


Electrical Inspections

What are the latest changes to the National Electrical Code?

2008 NEC Effective residential changes:

  • 210.4(B) Handle-ties are required on breakers serving common neutral (multi-wire) circuits.
  • 210.4(D) Wires of Multi-wire circuits shall be grouped (such as wire-tire) where entering from conduit into a panel if these are not a cable assembly.
  • 210.8(A)(2) Exceptions 1 and 2 (removed) Single receptacles are freezers and other receptacles in Garages are no longer exempt from GFCI.
  • 210.8(A)(3) Exceptions 1 and 2 (removed) Single receptacles at sump pumps and other receptacles in unfinished basements are no longer exempt from GFCI.
  • 210.12(B) AFCI protection (most likely in the form of circuit breakers) are required for outlets and lighting, smoke detectors, etc in:  Family rooms, dining Rooms, Living Rooms, Parlors, Libraries, Dens, Bedrooms, Sunrooms, Recreation Rooms, Closets, Hallways, or similar spaces.
  • 210.52(E)(3) All decks 20 sq ft or larger require receptacles.
  • 250.94 An external ground bar of a least 3 lugs or spaces is required to be mounted on or near the meter sockiet for the purpose of providing a ground for the telephone, cable, or others.
  • 406.11 ALL receptacles involved in or on a residential property are required to be tamper-resistant. (to include detached garages, shed, pole structures, swimming pools).

Does a receptacle for the laundry equipment always require a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)?

No, only if there is a laundry-tub located in the laundry room, GFCI is required for any receptacles outlets in the room. 2008 NEC 210-8.

In a four story apartment building is non-metallic sheathed cable (romex) approved?

Romex is allowed, in general, in wood construction as per National Electrical Code (NEC 2008) 334.10.  Excluding assembly-type uses (over 50 persons).

Can three wire (SEC) be used for a circuit to a range, oven, or dryer?

No. Thttp://oregonohio.quantum-coders.com/administrator/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=edit&id=1352#editorhe 2008 National Electrical Code (NEC) 250-140 states it is required that a four wire cable to these units is used.

Can I upgrade a service and relocate the service drop?

Yes, however, service drop locations must be approved by the Toledo Edison, Engineering Operation Department before the customer begins work.  Consult Toledo Energy/FirstEnergy regulations, Section 305 of the Edison Service Handbook, or call the Edison toll free at 1-800-447-3333.

How much does a permit cost?

Permit costs are based on per unit size and type of work done on the property. Please call 419-698-7071 for a quote or see the permit form.  Forms are now available from the City of Oregon Web Site.

When do I need an Electrical permit?

A permit is required for installation of electrical wiring or equipment in any building, structure or premises, alterations made in any such existing installation including service upgrades.  Permits are not required for minor repair work, including replacement of lamps or the connection of portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

Are Electrical contractors required to be licensed?

Yes, an Electrical contractor's license is required to do all electrical projects requiring a permit and inspection.  The only exception to the licensing law is in a single-family residence. The resident owner may do the electrical work on his owner residence after obtaining the required permits. The homeowner is not exempt from using licensed contractors for work on rental property or commercial property owned.