court clerk window
Oregon Police Vehicles

A City of Cooperation

Police Department

Emergency dial 911




Records Clerk

Oregon OH Police facebook
Oregon Police - Twitter

Missing Children


How do I file a Police Report?

Oregon Police will respond to any location in the City of Oregon to take a report.  Contact the Police Dispatch on the non-emergency line at 419-698-7064 and an Officer will be dispatched when available.  If you have an emergency situation dial 911 and stay on the line if possible.  Reports may be taken at the Police Station 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  (Note: this does not insure quicker response times as officers are typically dispatched to the station for these reports.

You may choose to make a report through the Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU).  The TRU is accessed by contacting dispatch as above.  Instead of having an officer come to you, you can ask that the report be made via telephone.  You can then choose any time between 7:30 am and 4:00 pm Monday thru Friday (excluding holidays) for the records clerk to contact you.  This can be done through any local phone number.

How do I get a Police Report?

You can stop in at the Oregon Police Records Bureau, Monday thru Friday, until 4:30 pm or call 419-698-7052.  Having information such as date and time, names or type of report is helpful.

If I have a complaint about an Officer, who do I contact?

You can call the Duty Sergeant at 419- 698-7054, the Uniform Lieutenant at 419- 698-7103, or the Assistant Chief of Police at 419- 698-7059.

How do I contact the Oregon Police Detective Bureau?

Call 419- 698-7057.  If you are unable to contact a Detective at that time you should leave a message.

Can I leave notice with the Police Division if I'm going to be out of town?

Yes, you can contact the Records Bureau and fill out a security/vacation watch form.  This information is then passed along to the road patrol division units during roll call so that they aware that nobody will be at your home during this period. 

 I've been involved in an accident on private property.  What do I do now?

The police will not take a report of an accident that occurs on private property in most circumstances.  You are required by law to exchange information with the other party involved.  You can come to the Oregon Police Dept. at any time to fill out your own accident report. 

What Happens if a Police Officer Stops Your Vehicle?

Why did you stop me? The first question an Officer usually hears.

Moving violations are the most common reason a vehilce is stopped.Some exmaples include speeding offenses, failure to stop at a red light or stop sign, failure to use a turn signal, or not having a child properly restrained.

Registration or Equipment Violations are other reasons a vehicle may be stopped by an officer.  The laws governing driving privileges consist of several hundred pages.  It is not uncommon for a driver to be in violation of the law without knowing it.  This is why police departments occassionally issue courtesy warnings.

Courtesy of Safety Concerns are other reasons an officer might stop your vehicle.  For instance, your trunk may be open or something might be hanging from under your vehicle.

Steps to follow if you are stopped.

Stop your vehicle as far out of the lane of traffic as possible.

Stay in your vehicle and turn on the interior light.  Good lighting assists good communications.  Relax and remain in your vehicle.  If you leave your vehicle you subject yourself and the officer to the dangers of traffic.

Keep your hands in view, preferably on the steering wheel.  Wait for the officer to request your license, registration and proof of insurance.

Police Officers are trained to ask for identification first and provide an explanation second.  First, provide the proper documentation.  Then, give the officer a chance to explain the reason you were stopped.  Providing your documentation will simplify and speed up the process.  Remember, most often the officer is in uniform with a name tag displayed.  You have the advantage of knowing with whom you are dealing.  Extend the courtesy by providing the requested information without argument.

If you do not agree with the citation, or the officer's demeanor, do not argue at the scene.  All cictzens have the right to question their citation before a judge.  Every Police Dept. has an internal affairs system in place to investigate citizen complaints.

Common Questions about Police Procedures and Their Answers

Q.  "Why did the Officer sneak up along the side of my car?"

A.   Police Officers are trained to minimize their exposure to traffic and therefore reduce the likihood that they will be injured.

Q.   "If it's only a minor offense, why did two officers show up?"

A.   Officers in the vicinity frequently back each other up without being requested.

Q.   "Why do the Officers sit in the car so long?" What are they doing?"

A.   The Officer is verifying your driving privileges and vehicle registration status through a statewide computer system.  Many other Officers may be trying to gain access to the same system.  When dealing with computers, delays can be expected.



How do we start a Neighborhood Block Watch?
My Neighborhood seems to be crime free. Should we start a Block Watch?
Who conducts the Block Watch Meetings?
Won't this program just result in a lot of unnecessary calls to the police?

© 2015 City of Oregon